Sweet Potato Noodle Bolognese with Quinoa & Toasted Crushed Almonds
- 3 tbsp dry quinoa
- 1/4 cup + 3 tbsp water
- salt, to taste
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup peeled and chopped carrot
- handful of almonds (less than 1/4 cup)
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- (1) 14-oz can of diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp oregano flakes
- pepper, to taste
- 1.5 large sweet potato, peeled & Spiralized with your KitcheNiche Spiralizer on the thick spaghetti end.
- olive oil
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- Place a small saucepan over high heat with the quinoa and water. Add a pinch of salt and bring to a boil and then lower heat and simmer until all water evaporates and quinoa is fluffy. Set aside in a bowl once done.
- As the quinoa is cooking, place your carrot and celery in a food processor and pulse until no large chunks remain. Set aside.
- Clean out the food processor and add in the almonds. Crush until chunky. Place a small skillet over medium heat and add in the crushed almonds. Cook for about 3 minutes or until almonds become fragrant. Set aside.
- Place a large saucepan over medium heat. Add in the olive oil and once it heats up, add in the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add in the red pepper flakes, cook for 30 seconds, and then add in the celery-carrot mixture and red onions. Cook for about 3-4 minutes or until vegetables soften.
- Add the diced tomatoes, season with oregano and salt and pepper. Crush tomatoes using the back of a fork or potato masher. Cook for about 10-15 minutes or until sauce is mostly reduced. You want the sauce to be thick but still be juicy.
- As the sauce is cooking, add the spiralized sweet potato noodles to a large skillet over medium heat. Lightly drizzle the noodles with olive oil and season with salt, pepper and garlic powder. Toss frequently until noodles have wilted and softened, about 5-10 minutes.
- Once the sauce is done, add in the cooked quinoa and stir to combine. Add in the cooked sweet potato noodles and toss to combine.
- Plate the noodles into the bowls and top each with even amounts of toasted crushed almonds. Enjoy!